Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Need for Grace and Mercy

God has recently brought me through a series of situations that have reminded me of how much I am in need of his grace and mercy. 

It seemed as though everything was going just fine.  Then he showed me my pride and my desire to do things my way.  He allowed me to be knocked off of my feet and I found myself in a position where I felt there was nothing I could do to get back up.  I was hurt, afraid and overwhelmed by a deep sense of hopelessness.  Once I realized that I couldn't do what it was that I needed to on my own and cried out for mercy and help, I was heard.  "The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer" and he helped me back up - not on my own but with his gentle hand lifting me and holding me.  He hasn't gone away - he is still holding me. I know that everything is fine as long as I don't try to take things in my own hands or step away from the sturdy crutches he provides.

"Ah! how many whose glance falls upon this page may testify “Even thus has the Lord dealt with me. I was rich, and He has impoverished me. I was exalted, and He has laid me low. Not one cup only did He drain, not one vessel only did He dash to the earth, but many. He has emptied me ‘from vessel to vessel.’ ” Happy shall you be if the result of all this emptying and humbling shall be the filling and enriching of your soul with larger communications of grace and truth from Jesus. A cloud of witnesses around you testify to this invariable principle of the Lord’s procedure with His people—that He enriches by impoverishing them; strengthens by weakening them; replenishes by emptying; and exalts by laying them low."  (Quote from Octavius Winslow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment